Monday, August 22, 2011

Speculative Realism

Ok, I have decided to explore the philosophical movement that today is known as speculative realism. I have earlier read some works in that school of thought and was particularly fascinated by the writings of Graham Harman, especially in his book "The Prince of Networks". Harman is seen as one of the core figures in this new movements. So, on my desk are now

"Towards Speculative Realism--Essays and Lectures" by Graham Harman
"The Speculative Turn--Continental Materialism and Realism" edited by Levi Bryant, Nick Srnicek and Graham Harman
"After Finitude" by Quentin Meillassoux

I am really looking forward to get into these books and especially to see how this new thinking resonates with design philosophy. I will hopefully be back with some reviews...

Since this philosophical movement has a clear relationship with Bruno Latour I have also a new book from him. It is "On the Modern Cult of the Factish Gods". Quite intriguing title...

2 comments:

P O Ågren said...

Isn't Harman also a key figure in the movement of OOO (object-oriented ontology)? I've noticed some interesting discussions about this.

Erik Stolterman Bergqvist said...

Hejsan PO

Yes, it is the same Harman and also to a large extent the same movement, I think with slightly different names and maybe purposes. So, it is time to read Harman :-)

Erik